Fire Pits: How to Enhance Your Outdoor Relaxation
If you're looking to elevate your home or business with an outdoor fire pit, the shopping experience can be overwhelming. The number of options on the market can present a challenge when trying to find a fire pit that will stand the test of time. The sheer number of big-box stores selling "discount" patio fire pits that will only last a year or two can obscure the brands that sell only high-quality products.
This is where Firepits Direct comes in. We've done quite a lot of the legwork for you, selecting the best backyard fire pit brands and models to be featured on our site. By separating the wheat from the chaff, we can promise that any fire pit for sale here is one you can count on bringing enjoyment for years to come. Combine that with our top-notch customer service and technical expertise and you've got a guarantee of a positive experience from shopping to delivery.
Why Buy a Fire Pit
Fire pits are a hot commodity right now, and for good reason. A well-made fire pit patio setup can create an inviting atmosphere for you and your guests and increase the value of your home or business. In the 10+ years we've been in the fire pit outdoor business, we've noticed a few common threads among the customers who buy from Firepits Direct:
- Atmosphere - Whether you're shopping for a simple bonfire pit for your home or a large custom fire pit for your business, you're looking to create an inviting outdoor space for yourself, your family and your guests. Fire has always been a signal for gathering, and the fire pit is the modern version of that timeless idea.
- Warmth - Getting the most enjoyment out of an outdoor space throughout the year can be challenging depending on where you live. In spring and fall, when some places can be quite chilly in the evenings, a fire feature can extend the outdoor season by weeks or even months. A wood-burning fire pit, in particular, can put out an impressive amount of heat, but a powerful gas fire pit can do the same.
- Technology - The fire pit industry has been steadily innovating for decades, and the brands we carry at Firepits Direct represent the leaders in that drive to implement technology into the experience. With things like electronic ignitions and home automation integration, fire pits have never been better than they are now.
What to Consider When Buying a Fire Pit
Whether you're looking for a basic fire ring or an impressively large fire pit, there are a number of factors to keep in mind during the shopping experience. Firepits Direct carries thousands of models, so figuring out which is right for you will require some careful consideration. Our expert production specialists are happy to assist in your search, but it's best to do some research ahead of time to know what you're looking for. Major factors our customers consider include:
- Fire Pit Type - We carry a wide variety of fire features, each with their own best applications. While shopping our site, you'll see fire pits, fire pit tables, fire pit kits, portable fire pits and fire and water bowls, just to name a few. Every one of them is a product we're proud to offer, but some will work better for your needs than others.
- Fuel Type - We offer fire features in three fuel types: wood, natural gas and propane. Wood-burning fire pits are fairly self-explanatory, and if that's what you're looking for, we've got plenty to choose from. If you're looking for a gas fire pit, however, there are additional considerations to keep in mind. If you're looking to install a fire feature that attaches to your home fuel supply, you're likely looking for a natural gas unit. If you want to attach your fire feature to a portable tank, then a propane fire pit is right for you. Generally, we recommend working with a licensed gas plumber if you're unsure.
- Size - We offer a variety of sizes, from compact fire bowls to huge centerpiece units that can define an entire outdoor dining space. Whether you're shopping small or large, you'll find something in our selection.
- Price - Because we curate our offerings to present only the best brands in the industry, Firepits Direct tends toward the higher end of the market. However, we still cover a broad range of price points, meaning there's something for almost any budget. It's important to keep in mind that in the fire feature industry you get what you pay for. A budget fire table that wears out after a couple of summers will cost you more in the long run than a quality fire feature built from thick steel to last for many years.
- Material/Style - The fire features we carry are always built from high-quality materials to stand up to the elements. Glass-fiber reinforced concrete is a common choice, and if they use metal, it's usually either stainless steel or powder-coated steel to resist corrosion. Shape and color are also key features to consider. Round fire pits are quite popular right now, but we also carry them in square and rectangular configurations to ensure there's something for every space. Many of the brands we carry offer dozens of color and finish options to suit your decor.
- Features - Our offerings range from straightforward fire pit rings to full-featured technological suites that can interface with your smartphone to allow a streamlined experience. Whether you're an early tech adopter or and more of an old-fashioned type, there's certain to be something for you in our collection.
- Warranty - The fire features we sell are some of the most reliable in the industry, but there's still always the possibility of a component failing. The brands we carry stand behind their products, so they offer generous warranties ranging from a year or two for electronic components up to lifetime coverage for structural elements. Refer to the owner's manual for each unit to see specific warranty details.
Fire Pit FAQs
- Do I need a cover for my fire pit? Technically speaking, you don't necessarily need a cover, but if you want to get the most out of your investment, a fabric cover is a good idea. By protecting your fire feature from the elements when it's not in use, you can delay the effects of corrosion on the components. We recommend the use of a fitted cover, and we also carry a range of burner covers for additional rain and snow shielding.
- Where is the best place to put a fire pit? The most important factor to consider when placing a fire feature is meeting the manufacturer's required clearances. Fire pits need to be placed at a minimum distance from combustible materials like walls, furniture and overhead structures like awnings and pergolas to prevent accidental ignition or damage. Other than that, you can place a fire feature just about anywhere that suits your needs. A stone, brick or concrete patio in the backyard is one of the most popular choices.
- Can I burn wood in a gas fire pit? No. Outdoor fire pits are not designed to withstand the heat and weight of burning wood logs, and the ash they produce can cause dangerous clogs.
- What is fire pit media? Fire pit media is a decorative addition used to enrich the look of a gas-powered feature. The most traditional option is lava rock, but you can also choose to use fire glass for a more modern look or ceramic-fiber logs to give the fire feature a more natural look.
- Does my fire pit need CSA certification? For residential use, CSA certification is usually not required, but you should check your local codes to be sure. For commercial use, CSA certification usually is required.