Gas Fire Pits: The Modern Centerpiece of Outdoor Living
A freestanding outdoor gas fire pit is a smart choice for a homeowner or business looking to elevate any outside space with a convenient plug-and-play fire feature. If you're in the market for an outdoor natural gas fire pit, the breadth of options can be intimidating, especially if you're looking for a high-quality unit. Many retailers are trying to capitalize on the popularity of these propane and natural gas outdoor fire pits, leading to a flood of subpar options.
This is why it's a good thing you're shopping with Firepits Direct. We curate our collection to offer the best in the fire pit gas feature industry, meaning we can assure you that when you shop with us, you're getting only the highest quality. Add in our technical expertise and best-in-class customer service, and you're looking at a smooth gas fire pit outdoor experience.
Why Buy a Gas Fire Pit
An outdoor fire pit is an excellent way to turn any patio or backyard into an inviting entertaining and relaxation space. These fire features create a natural gathering space, increase the value of your home or business and extend the outdoor season. In the decade we've been selling quality natural gas fire pit tables and fire pits, there have been three major selling points for these appliances:
- Technology - Innovation has been a constant process in the gas fire pit industry since the start, and here at Firepits Direct, we carry the brands who have been leading the charge. The inclusion of things like electronic ignitions, home automation integration and state-of-the-art materials has made patio gas fire pits better than they've ever been.
- Heating - With the sometimes chilly temperatures of late spring and early fall, it can be challenging to get the most out of an outdoor patio or backyard space, depending on where you live. A powerful gas fire pit outdoors can change that. The heat of the flames can keep you and your guests comfortable even when the temperatures dip in the evening, allowing you to the get the most value out of your investment.
- Ambiance - Whether you're looking for a small gas fire pit for your home or a large and impressive centerpiece unit for an outdoor dining space, you're wanting to elevate that outdoor space to an inviting gathering place. The gas fire pit is the modern bonfire, where friends and family come together.
What to Consider When Buying a Gas Fire Pit
Even though we've curated a collection of only the best fire features in the industry, we still offer an impressive selection of gas fire pits. There are a number of factors to keep in mind to ensure you're getting the unit that best serves your needs.
Our team of product specialists is of course happy to offer their guidance via phone, chat or email, but it's very helpful to do some research in advance to find just what you're looking for. The main factors our customers take into account while shopping for a gas fire pit include:
- Fuel Type - Gas fire pits are available for two fuel types: liquid propane and natural gas. If you're looking for a unit that will hook up to your home fuel supply, that's most likely natural gas. If, on the other hand, you want to attach to a portable or permanent tank, you're going to want a propane unit. Outdoor fire pit propane can come either from a standard 20-pound tank or a larger installed supply if you live in an area without natural gas service.
Generally, we recommend that concerns regarding fuel type be addressed by a licensed gas plumber to ensure safety.
- Size and Shape - These fire features come in an impressive array of sizes, from small portable gas fire pits ideal for camping to show-stopping appliances nearly eight feet across. While bigger is often better, if you want to get the most enjoyment out of your fire pit, it's best to keep in mind the size of your space and the number of guests you're going to be entertaining. The shape is also a key consideration. We carry square, rectangular, linear and round gas fire pits, and each shape will suit different spaces. We even offer a small selection of oval and L-shaped fire pits for more niche applications.
- Budget - Firepits Direct offers a curated collection of only higher quality fire features, which means the prices tend toward the higher end of the market. This doesn't mean they're out of reach, however. There is still a wide range of price points to suit almost any budget. It's also important to remember that you get what you pay for. A well-made fire pit with stainless steel burners will save you money in the long run over a cheap unit that needs to be replaced quickly.
- Material - Our collection is made up primarily of metal and concrete fire pits. The metal offerings are generally either coated steel, stainless steel, cast steel or copper, all of which resist corrosion for long-lasting appeal. The concrete fire pits are often made from glass fiber reinforced concrete which is both stronger and more lightweight.
- Features and Accessories - This is perhaps the most complex of the topics listed here. Gas fire pits come in all types, with a huge spread of ignition types, including some that can interface with your smartphone via Bluetooth, just to name one major feature. Many of the brands we carry also offer exceptional accessories to improve your fire pit experience. Popular ones include protective covers, fire glass, lava rocks and wind guards.
Gas Fire Pit FAQs
- Is it okay to burn wood in a gas fire? No. Gas fire pits are not made from materials designed to stand up to the heat of a wood fire. Ash produced by burning wood can clog the burners, causing serious damage and potential safety issues.
- How much heat does a gas fire pit put out? This will vary depending on the size of your fire pit as well as the fuel supply, but generally, a decent gas fire pit can be counted on to put out at least 50,000 BTUs. A large, high-performance fire pit can reach outputs in excess of 100,000 BTUs.
- Are gas fire pits safe? Short answer: yes. If you follow all of the manufacturer's recommendations and requirements, a gas fire pit is a perfectly safe option for your home or business. Key safety considerations include keeping the fire pit at the recommended distance from combustible materials, ensuring the area is properly ventilated and regularly testing the gas supply for leaks.